Responsibilities of the Principal Investigator or Project Director Applying for a Grant
- Notifying the Grants and Foundations Manager, Lydia Spencer, as early as possible of your intention to apply for a grant.
- Reading the funding opportunity notice in detail.
- Drafting a proposal that follows the relevant guidelines or instructions in it. Watch for requirements regarding page limits, font style and size, margins and line spacing, special page headers and footers.
- Recommended: have a colleague read your draft proposal for content, clarity and accuracy.
- Being aware of items that require collaboration or an outside agency and initiating these early in the grant process (e.g., letters of support—draft these for your partners/supporters and you will get them back easier and faster).
- Compliance with all grant policies in the college handbook, faculty section, at http://handbook.advancement.caesarmoura.com/externally-funded-grants-and-contracts
- Preparing the budget and budget narrative.
- Filling out the External Grant Checklist (links to Box) appropriately and completely, attaching it to the draft proposal and budget with a brief abstract, and circulating it for signatures. Allow 2 weeks for this process; plan to have all documentation submitted to Lydia Spencer, the grants and foundations manager, 2 weeks before the grant deadline.
- Securing Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval or exemption as appropriate, for projects that include research with human participants. More information can be found here.
Already received the grant? See Managing Your Grant.